top of page


The town of Gerringong developed in the 1830s & 1840s as European cedar-cutters & pastoralists settled the area, which until then had been part of the country of the Dharawal people. The first Anglican church service in Gerrin­gong was held on September 30th, 1855, in a new timber church building paid for by voluntary donations. This building was officially opened in 1866, and served the community until the Great Fire of Gerringong destroyed it on July 1st, 1872. Anglican services were held in the Congregational Church for two years, until the present stone church building designed by E. Blacket was opened on August 9th, 1874.


1934.08.15 Arch'bp Mowll visit for consecration of St George's #1.jpg

For the next 114 years St George’s Gerringong was part of the parish of Christ Church Kiama, with ministry provided by catechists & assistant ministers on the staff team there. In 1930 the building now known as the Cottage was pur­chased and relocated to Gerringong to accommodate these ministers & their families. In 1954 the church at St James’ Foxground (built in 1850 & again in 1880 on land donated from the Cullen farm) was destroyed by fire. That con­gregation decided to join the fellowship in Gerringong, using the insurance proceeds to build the church hall in 1966.


1934.08.15 Arch'bp Mowll visit for consecration of St George's #2.jpg
Doc 11 Dec 2022, 11.26.jpg
1974 Gerringong Church Committee.jpg
1999.08 Bp. Piper at 125th anniversary.jpg

During the centenary year of 1974, the process for St George’s to become an independent parish was begun, which included having a resident minister. To that end the current Rectory was built in 1982, financed partly by the sale of the church land in Foxground.

In 1988 St George’s Gerringong became a provisional parish. The new parish included the congregation at St Peter’s Shoalhaven Heads, which had been meeting since 1955 as part of Berry parish with a church building officially opened in 1961. We became a full parish in 2001 and on 18th November 2010 proudly celebrated St Peter’s Shoalhaven Heads becoming a provisional parish itself.


Of course, this is more than a story of buildings; the real history of Gerringong Anglican Church is the ongoing story of a church family of faithful followers of Jesus Christ. We have gathered here in fellowship, learning from God’s Word, worship, obedience, service, outreach & love for over 160 years.


May we continue to know God and to make Him known!

Doc 11 Dec 2022, 11.20.jpg
bottom of page